Saturday 14 September 2013

September 15 2013- Still not connected........sigh......

Saturday September 14- Happy Birthday Norma Jean!!!!!

(Yes, I had to do a "fasting" blood work and another Chest Xray my first morning in Shanghai. No food, no coffee, very little sleep - accompanied by a (lovely) - but very young (22years old- I asked) new male (Chinese) English teacher in the school's car with Driver. The pillow where I laid my arm had years of past blood stains on it. When we were done- the nurse told me to lay back and she brought me hot water with sugar in it- asked me if I was "okay"- this is so typical of "fasting" blood work and me)
Still waking at odd hours. Sometimes just from 2 to 3 a.m Drink floral tea- wonderful. Have to tiptoe to the kitchen so the "normal" sleepers don't wake up.

Victoria ( Vicky)- from Russia has promised to help me buy a modem today and set up my own wifi network. I will be moved to ears if and when this works. I feel so "disconnected". The few times I have been able to pick up wifi- a government building, the local mall, my office at the campus- it is censored. I can get gmail, Heritage College email, CBC PRINT news- but NOT the Videos online. And definitely NOT my Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, etc. I WAS able to see the weather for Ottawa - ( nothing subversive about that, I guess……)


This weekend I will clean my room, iron some clothes - (yes! the laundry room has a state of the art washer and dryer, drying racks and an iron and ironing board-fantastic!), go on a quest for an English newspaper and preferably a novel- anything!. Most importantly I will "prep" for my four different classes I begin teaching next week. Grade 6, Grade 8, Grade 10 & Grade 11.  All oral classes. (Kathleen Petty once said she eats an apple every day to save her voice………..I've been eating a banana- for a very different part of my body…..)

1 comment:

  1. No internet yet!!! How have you been posting these blogs? Have you met the other profs yet (other than the Russian and UK chap)? How old are they? Where are they from? I can't wait for more updates. Post a few pics of the school and the front of your residence, shops, food, whatever! I'm so interested! Hope to skype soon!

    ReplyDelete