Tuesday 22 October 2013

Ladyboys from Thailand & Gaydar: An interesting discussion with one class of Senior 1's

So my Senior 1's today were in groups brainstorming about ideas for a funny play they could write and produce. The theme of "ladyboys" from Thailand came up. I remembered the obsession that high school students ( from Roy's class) had with "Ladyboys" from /thailand ( remember Jo?)
So I began to quiz my students about /China's views on the "gay community"
Me: Do you have "ladyboys in /china?"
Them: "Yes"
Me: "/what do you feel about gay people?"
Them: " The younger generation thinks it's "normal", but older /chinese do not"
Me: Are there gay students at Shanghai Foriegn Languages /school (SFLS)?"
Them: "YES!"
Me: " Is it a problem?"
Them: " Noooooo!"
One male student: " I read on the Internet that women have "gaydar" and can spot a gay man easier than a man"
I spit my coffee out at this point............
I explained about how traditional cultures valued and honoured  "Two-Spirited" people....etc, etc.
They listened with wide eyes.
 I told them I have "gaydar" ( ALL Canadians do...........we have same-sex marriage after all...they all nodded - they knew) and that I have spotted a couple of gay students at SFLS
Them: " Who? /who? /we think we  know"
Me: I'm not telling. Is it okay if they are in your classes?"
Them: " We have a gay student in THIS class"
Me: " Don't tell me. It is not up to you to tell me"
They were very respectful about this
Wonderful class today!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment