Friday 13 June 2014

Good Bye Shanghai Foreign Languages School! Good Bye neighbours in the Dorm!


 Sunshine text me and told me there was a gift from the school on my desk to thank me for my good work. It is a beautiful silk scarf - and blue- my favourite colour.
 I spent my last day giving out my business cards to my Chinese colleagues who have been so kind, and students who want to keep in touch. I had my last lunch in the Canteen with Danny - our last "Friday - speak English-only Lunch". He has promised to take Dawn and I around to the Jewish Museum in the North Bund- I had not even heard of it! And, he has invited me for a meal at his home with his parents.

Joan- the library sciences/book nerd- also joined us for lunch. She has invited Dawn and I to visit the Botanical Gardens- it's close to where she lives, and I have not been there yet. Joan told me it is an interesting place for restaurants, too. Looking forward to it!


All of my Chinese colleagues will be busy until the end of the term- June 30th. Luckily, I'm here until July 8th with good friend Dawn. Sunshine has also promised to spend a day with us- asked me if I liked "Korean food' and then said "Wait, you like all cuisines, right". Korean Bar B Q is very popular here in Shanghai. It will be a MEAT meal…..(hope you are eating meat, Dawn! lol)
 On a recent outing with Bianca and me, Sunshine ( once again) expressed her astonishment that as "Europeans" ( I was never a "Canadian" - always a "foreigner" - or a "European" - because we all look the same)  - we actually LIKED spicy and hot foods. It may be a trait that people who decide to live and work abroad share- the love of "ethnic cuisine"


The Foreign teachers waste no time going home. I had a teary good bye with Vicky last night- who flew back to St Petersburgh early this morning. I have agreed to met her in Bali Indonesia next July. She loved it there, and I never got to visit. We will rent a house along with her friends Jules and Don - a very sweet couple I met and liked very much. In the meantime, it's an email friendship across the Ocean.

Photo of  PHOTO-  but quicker than uploading individual ones. The "Foreign " teachers at SFLS.

 William, Lingtai, Matt and Micheal- my "office-mates". Vicky ( below)


Bianca flies to Tokyo ( June 16th) for 6 days - then back for two days -then home to Germany. We agreed to have facials together and a drink in one of her favourite bars during her two days back at the dorm. Then she flies home to Germany.

Matt flies home ( England) on June 16th. Murray and Adelia anxiously await their baby girl's passport so they can fly home. Emmanual leaves for France on the 20th of June.

It will just be Sakamootoo Sun and myself until the bitter end - June 28th. He flies to the Netherlands for a month, before returning to Japan.


Yes. I am waiting for a phone call from Canada. My first!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment