Sunday 1 June 2014

K11 Mall, Claude Monet and Fresh Element for dinner

So this is the gift shop.  No pics allowed of the Monet exhibit ( Although the other patrons were taking pictures anyway). I tried to take a picture of the crowd in the exhibition and a guard rushed over and warned me…….
These paintings were for sale and the artists were Chinese- pretty interesting.
Sunshine, Bianca and I paid 100 rmb ($16.00) to see 55 Monet paintings in two Exhibition Halls that had too many people meandering and you could not get close enough to see the work. It was quite frustrating. Art  consumption in Shanghai is hard to describe. It is a little like riding the Metro here- elbows in your back, bodies pushing to get forward - and nobody really gets to see the art. This is the fourth art exhibition I have been to and it was the worst experience. The space was too small, the attendees let in too many people at once, it was "Children's Day" ( June 1st), so there were too many crying babies. Sunshine could not stay for a bite to eat afterwards, so Bianca and I felt free to compare notes. Her feeling were identical to mine. Living in a culture that does not queue up for anything can be very frustrating. I continue to maintain it is the sheer size of the population that promotes the pushing to the front, but I don't know.


The Claude Monet display of books, scarves, and trinkets

K11 is an "Art Mall" with installations throughout the 4 floors. Really fantastic!
This map shows the areas where Art is found in the mall
The architecture is spectacular and the mall is eco-friendly
The design of the K11 Mall lived up to it's reviews- magnificent!

While looking for Element Fresh -  for a late lunch- we took the elevator to the 4th floor and stumbled into a hotel lobby

Lounging on the elegant furniture in my inelegant Gap shirt


Butterly outside the building
Dinner at Element Fresh-  a fabulous Chain in Shanghai

Bianca and red wine and fish with squid pasta
Indoor vegetable and herb garden in the Mall

Mush room shop


Tomato plants





Dolce and Gabbana window display



 Bianca took these wonderful shots of me in front of a perpetually moving screen at the entrance of the  mall



Day 2 of a three-day weekend was fabulous! In spite of the crowds at the art exhibit and the man on the Metro who was practising his English with Bianca and I. He asked me to be his English teacher - and then unceremoniously asked me why I was not "retired". Meaning I was "old". Sigh…………you gotta love the Chinese people………….

No comments:

Post a Comment